Wednesday 20 May 2009

Chelsea, what's Chelsea?

The Great Spring Show, this most flamboyant of the Royal Horticultural Society's many flower shows, is held every year on the grounds of the Royal Hospital in Chelsea, London - a retirement/nursing home for former members of the British Army:This picture was taken with the Great Pavilion to my back. The pathway is blocked off from show attendees during the week.

Long before the opening of the show, the heavy machinery comes in to build the large show gardens synonymous with the RHS Chelsea Flower Show. My understanding is that after the show, everything on the Royal Hospital grounds must be put back to right within a fortnight - which would also explain the cost in building these showpieces.

Another thing I hadn't realised is that some of the most-photographed people in London are actually the Chelsea pensioners, when wearing their distinctive scarlet coats. This lovely gentleman told me that they're always being asked to pose for photos but they never get to see them. Mr P hasn't really gotten to grips with Blogger, so I've promised him I would print out this post and send it to him:

No comments:

Post a Comment