Monday 30 March 2009

Here's what a newbie looks like


I don't like throwing perfectly good plants away, and this little fern which had self-seeded within tons of liverwort in a pot of alliums was no exception. Its root system looked perfectly OK after I had carefully and painstakingly peeled off the crappy liverwort for what seemed like ages, so if he snuffs it I will be hacked off no end.

The pink-flowered geranium is something rampant that a friend gave us out of his garden. It's not a miniature by any stretch of the imagination. And when I say rampant, I do mean rampant. It has clumped up so much I have given away at least 8 large pots of it in the past 3 years. Several mountains of it are dotted around the garden, and every year or so they need to get thinned out and more bits wind up in pots.

This weekend, I noticed one of the smaller pots needed a good rescuing from the liverwort, and I managed to break off this small piece by accident. Again, a healthy root system came with it, so I decided to try a semi-cascade look. As it fills out over the year(s), I'll post updates.

Pot is by Walsall Ceramics. Total height of planting is about 4 inches / 10 cm from base of pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment